Marriage License FAQ's

Is there a waiting period from the date of application to the date the license is issued?

Yes, there is a mandatory three-day waiting period.

May we marry before the three days for good reason?

Yes, if you can obtain a court waiver after filing intentions. You should file your intentions first with any city or town clerk. Then, we suggest calling: Franklin County District Court, Clerk's Office (413) 774-5533

What is the cost of a marriage license?

Individual communities set the fee for a marriage license. The fee in Sunderland is $25 which includes the issuance of one certified copy of the Certificate of Marriage once the marriage has occurred and the Certificate has been recorded wth the Office of the Town Clerk.

What are the responsibilities of the member of the clergy or justice of the peace?

The member of the clergy or justice of the peace authorized to solemnize marriages in Massachusetts, must complete and sign the original license and return it to the clerk of the city or town where the license was issued. A marriage is not deemed valid until the license has been returned to the Office of the Town Clerk where the intention was filed and that office has assigned it a register number and files it with the Department of Vital Records and Statistics.